In order to get legally married at Zöetry Montego Bay Jamaica, there are a few requirements you need. Even though by law the wedding couple only needs to be here 24 hours in advance, we would advise you to come at least 3 days in advance to meet with the Wedding Coordinator and Marriage Officer and go through the final details regarding the wedding. Symbolic and non-legal ceremonies allow flexibility for arrival date. Please speak with the Wedding Coordinator to discuss requirements.
The following original documents are required to be sent via courier to the Wedding Coordinator at least eight weeks prior to the couple's arrival to the hotel:
- Proof of citizenship – certified copy of birth certificate, which includes father's name.
- Notarized copies of Bride and Groom's official ID (Passports).
- Proof of divorce if applicable (original certificate of divorce).
- Notarized copy of death certificate for widow or widower.
- Occupation of both candidates.
- Occupation and full names of both sets of parents.
- Parent's written consent if under 18 years of age.
- Italian nationals celebrating their wedding in Jamaica must notify their embassy and have a certified copy of their marriage certificate forwarded to their embassy to be legalized and translated.
- French Canadians need a notarized translated copy of all documents and a photocopy of the original French documents. None of the above mentioned services are included in our Wedding Packages.
- After ceremony, the couple will receive a copy of the Marriage Register that the Officer will take to the Registrar General in Montego Bay in order to obtain your Official Certificate. This process takes approximately 3 months and we will mail the documents to you as soon as we receive it from the Registrar's Office.
- Zöetry Montego Bay Jamaica is not responsible for those documents sent via Postal or Currier Services and not received by the Wedding Coordinator.
- We are unable to retrieve those documents not sent directly to the hotel, please note that the wedding coordinator or any other employee of the hotel is not able to leave the property to retrieve documents.
- After signing the Marriage Registrar forms, the Minister sends the documents signed by the couple to the Registrar General Department (Government Agency that processes marriage certificates); on average the processing of the paperwork takes approximately 3 months, please note that Zöetry Montego Bay Jamaica is not responsible for any delay in the processing of the marriage certificates.
Symbolic Ceremonies: In Jamaica, symbolic ceremonies are considered a non-legal option. Due to Government law, wedding couples MUST be legally married in their country prior to having a symbolic ceremony in Jamaica. The bride and groom must present their wedding certificate as proof of marriage for a symbolic ceremony.